The traditional approach to cleaning severely blocked hot oil heaters/WHRUs often involves:
- Bypassing the fouled unit – results in higher operating costs.
- Doing nothing and accepting the increasingly inefficient burning of fuel within the WHRU/hot oil heater.
- Removing/cutting off the WHRU bends to allow straight access to all tubes for cleaning – not only time-consuming¸ but sufficient access for welding cannot be guaranteed and is in any case best avoided in situ.
- Replacing the complete WHRU/hot oil heater unit – not only expensive, but also entails a six-month manufacturing lead time for a new WHRU/hot oil heater.
Tube Tech has developed unique WHRU cleaning technologies that:
- Clean Waste Heat Recovery Units in situ.
- Keep the waste volume created by Waste Heat Recovery Unit cleaning to a minimum.
- Consider safety and environmental factors.
- Are custom designed to negotiate multiple bends during Waste Heat Recovery Unit cleaning.
- Complete Waste Heat Recovery Unit cleaning faster than traditional methods.
- Include a complete internal tube inspection of all tubes/pipes including coiled.
Tube Tech has extensive specialised experience in unblocking, descaling, and cleaning the difficult bends that are peculiar to WHRUs in the oil and gas industry. Tube Tech’s teams have successfully cleaned several WHRUs in the past at a very competitive rate. Tube Tech’s methods do not involve cutting nor removal of any U-bends and the company develops specialised systems to solve access problems often encountered during WHRU cleaning.
These successful contracts include:
- Serpentine WHRU/hot oil heater cleaning – WHRU cleaned mechanically and IN SITU on a North Sea oil platform.
- Hot oil heater/WHRU cleaning – WHRU unblocked and descaled with access only through the header box.
- WHRU cleaning – Novel engineering approach to WHRU cleaning saves client £500,000.